5 important points on water treatment with activated carbon
Activated carbon for water filtration is one of the most effective ways to purify water. It is widely used for water purification in various industries, and in general. It can remove most of the contaminants from water and make it suitable for drinking, cooking, and for various industrial uses.
For the various industries, buying the best quality activated water is very important. Activate carbon is easily available, but not all of them are reliable or higher in quality. Higher the quality of activated carbon, higher will be the quality of water. It is also used in water treatment and water supply industry as it offers a very cost-effective solution. There are many reasons why the activated carbon is perfect for water purification needs. Its features, and capabilities make it an excellent choice for purifying water.
Here are the 5 important points about activated carbon for water:
1. Where Does It Come From? Activated carbon is easily available as it comes from carbonaceous source materials, such as wood, bamboo, sawdust, coconut shell, peach pits, coir, petroleum pitch, and coal. The one made from coconut shells are most common, especially in countries like India. They are also very effective and high in quality. These are the various sources of carbon, which is then treated to activate it so that it can work effectively to remove impurities. This activation is the process of formation of millions of tiny pores on the carbon surface. These million tiny pores help in absorption of impurities from contaminated water.
It can be activated through thermal or chemical process. In thermal activation process, hot gas is used to open the pores of the carbon surface. On the other hand, chemical activation process included use of strong base, salt or acid.
2. There are Various Types of Activated Carbon Activated carbon for water filtration comes in various forms. They each have unique properties, characteristics and capabilities to remove contaminants from the water. The most popular and widely used activated carbon for water treatment is the Granular Activated Carbon also known as GAC. Here are the other types of activated carbon: • Granular Activated Carbon (GAC) – It has large carbon particles. • Powdered Activated Carbon (PAC) – It has fine particles of ground or crushed carbon. • Extruded Activated Carbon (EAC) – It mixes Powdered Activated Carbon (PAC) with a binding agent resulting in cylindrical or spherical particle. • Impregnated Carbon – It contains a wide range of inorganic impregnated compounds like silver and iodine. • Bead Activated Carbon (BAC) – It is formed from petroleum pitch and has spherical shape. • Woven Carbon – It is formed by combining activated carbon with technical rayon fiber. • Polymer Activated Carbon – The carbon particles are coated with biocompatible polymer.
Also Read: What is Energy Audit & Its Role in Making Industries Energy Efficient
These are some of the various types of activate carbon for water filtration.
3. A Wide Range of Application Activated carbon is widely used for water purification in industries and in general too, like drinking water purification. It is used for treating water in water treatment and water supply industries. It is also used for air purification, teeth whitening, metal extraction and others. it can remove a wide range of impurities, such as organic chemicals, chlorine, pesticides, herbicides and more. It is capable of removing most of the organic components in water to make it suitable for drinking or for other uses.
Other than water filtration, activated carbon has other uses in different industries, such as medical industry. It is used to treat people who have overdosed or poisoned as it can easily absorb the contents. In manufacturing industry, it is used for metal finishing and purifying impurities from metals like nickel.
4. Removes Water Impurities Effectively Activated carbon for water purification can remove a wide range of organic contaminants. It can remove some 81 chemicals and can reduce the effects of another 52 chemicals. It is the only filtering medium that can successfully remove all the 12 known herbicides and 14 pesticides. It can also remove the all types of organic contaminants.
It is highly effective in removing chemicals from water such as chlorine. Chlorine can affect the taste, smell and look of water. Activated carbon can easily remove the chlorine and all its trace from water very easily.
5. How Does Activated Carbon Filters Work? Activated carbon works because of its large surface area where the contaminants get adsorbed. When liquid or gas comes in contact with activated carbon, the molecules are drawn into the millions of pores present on the surface of activated carbon. It is small in size, but its surface area has millions of pores that helps in the removal of the various contaminants. The effectiveness of the activated carbon depends on various factors, such as the number of contaminants, type of impurities, acidity, and temperature of the water. It is very safe to use and can be removed from the treated water after the completion of the process.
Activated carbon is one of the most effective way to remove impurities from the water. It can remove a wide range of impurities from water and air and is widely used in water treatment and water supply industry. It is important to use high-quality carbon for water filtration and treatment so that you can get the best results.
Keiken Engineering provides activated carbon for water treatment solution. We provide high-quality carbon for water supply and treatment industries. We ensure the best quality activated carbon products and solution that can meet your specific needs. We can help you meet your quality and efficiency needs with our team and expertise.
If you have got further queries, you can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or you can call us at +34936811650 or +34910577254.